Old St. Rose of Lima Chapel & Cemetery
439 S. 3rd Street
Santa Rosa, NM 88435
The name Santa Rosa evolved from St. Rose of Lima, a chapel built in 1879 by Don Celso Baca, the founding father of Santa Rosa, to honor his mother. While in ruins, the chapel is one of the most visited sites in the city. Baca settled in Santa Rosa (known then as Aqua Negra Chiquita, “Little Black Water”) after serving as a Captain for the Northern Army in the Civil War. His 1865 home stands directly across the street from the chapel.